Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Not Even An Astronaut

This morning I sat a stop sign and watched people board a city bus, most of them dressed for work. And I thought, "Wow, I bet they have no idea how big and valuable their day is." I drove on and saw many more, walking toward cars and bus stops, doing "the trudge." I know it well. I used to be employed.

Three and a half years now, I can't find a job. Not as a grocery packer, a baker, a candlestick maker, an astronaut. Nada. I apply and apply and hear nothing most of the time. Every once in awhile I hear something, every once in awhile I get an interview. But nothing has come of it. For three and a half years.

It's said that the only way to really get a job these days is through someone you know. I know a lot of people. They do the best they can for me too. Alas...

Yesterday I asked for a job that I knew was opening up in the company I work for part-time and got a no. They don't have it to give. Gads.

So on the way home from taking Sasha to the hospital this morning I thought, "Well, this could well be it. This could be all I'm going to get, this part-time job and social security and food stamps." Although soon my food stamps will cease too. I guess my next job is to find a way to live within what I already have. Which would mean abandoning my house. Again. Everything else is really quite gone.

It's looking like a tiny future. I'm gonna have to make it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment